Re: [LAU] Isao Tomita, synthesizer music

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 14 2016 - 09:27:40 EEST

On 05/12/2016 07:50 AM, Tim E. Real wrote:
> On Thursday, May 12, 2016 11:29:10 AM S D wrote:
>> On May 12, 2016 10:28 AM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
>>> So this album
>>> and of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxNnqTcHhg were more
>>> popular among my generation
>>
>> Oh gosh. "Popcorn" from "Music to Moog By," composed by Gershon Kingsley
>> (later "covered" or adapted by other people including J. M. Jarre)--
>
> Yep, those were the days.
> Who knew that a purely synthetic song could be a monster number one radio hit?
> Just shows that synths can be pleasing to the ear. All of us kids loved it.

I worked in Yellowstone National Park 2 summers. They put on free square
dances in the park to help keep the mostly-college aged workers
entertained. The one novelty song they used was "Popcorn".

Yup, fun days!

> I have heard Tomita's 'The Planets' a few times as well.

I just checked my collection and realized I also have Tomita's European
release vinyl "Live at Linz, 1984". Still unplayed since I bought it! I
definitely need to get my turntable working again.

>> https://youtu.be/oYTu__hhMws
>>
>> I bought that album and "The Plastic Cow Goes Moog," by Mike Melvoin--
>>
>> https://youtu.be/DQZ42I1-gc8
>>
>> The Moog synthesizer was such a rage back then after Wendy (was Walter)
>> Carlos's "Switched On Bach" came out (I had to buy a copy immediately), and
>> as a new electronic instrument was completely out of economic reach of most
>> musicians.
>
> Yep, I had that album. A big Moog synth on the front cover.
> For me, a kid of 7 or 8 years old, Bach (or any classical music)
> was kind of hard to listen to, and done with synthesizers
> it was difficult to appreciate at that age, although I did try to listen.
> I was more interested in that exciting piece of equipment on the cover!

I have both of Carlos' albums. I happen to like classical music done on
synthesizers. :)

> But one album I enjoyed was 'In the Moog', which was old-time big band
> stuff done with Moog. On the cover was a old-timey juke box.
>
> I have searched but cannot find this music or any references
> to it on the net. Anyone?

Never heard of it. It sounds fun.

Another Moog synthesizer album I have here is "MOOG: The Electric
Eclectics of Dick Hyman" by Dick Hyman. I'm still peeved at Emerson for
stealing "The Minotaur" in live shows and never once giving Dick credit
for it.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden