Re: [LAU] Isao Tomita, synthesizer music

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri May 13 2016 - 18:45:49 EEST

On Fri, 13 May 2016 08:30:41 -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
>On Fri, 13 May 2016 06:31:32 +0200
>Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
>
>> The first band I played guitar, it were already the 80s, we first
>> had a single Moog
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moog_Concertmate_MG-1
>
>A fun fact - in the US, the MG-1 was sold by the big (at the time)
>electronics retailer Radio Shack under their Realistic line. I had
>one given to me in the mid-80s by a friend, and it went to my nephew
>who used it in his band. They had a fight over it one day when someone
>changed some settings and they could not recreate some sound they
>liked! It came back to me after my nephew passed and then went to my
>son's band, who embraced it and even gave it its own Facebook page.
>Long live the MG-1!

:)

Today I read about another remake of a vintage synth, from 2015:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_pro_arp_odyssey.htm

This dealer doesn't sell the original Oberheim SEM remake, but analog
synth based on SEM filters or Moog filters as well as Doepfer SEM
filters and a SEM from another vendor. They sell the Dave Smith & Tom
Oberheim OB-6 Synthesize (btw. the only real analog synth I own is the
Matrix-1000) and they sell a lot of new Moog gear. IMO most remakes are
totally overpriced.

For my iPad I got the Aturia SEM emulation for IIRC 6,- EUR. It syncs
to the iPad MusicStudio. FWIW since a few days MusicStudio is available
for Android devices too. I still had no time to make a song, to export
the iPad song to Ardour (Linux) and mix it (I don't have a sound card
for the iPad, only one for my Linux PC), so I can't say if the SEM
emulation is ok, but the emulation on the iPad sounds promising.

We are back to a situation where real analog synth are again to
expensive for many musicians. Hopefully the proprietary
software emulations are ok. Regarding digital synth, if I compare
Hexter (Linux) with my real DX7 from the first generation, then Hexter
(RME HDSPe AIO sound card) is unable to hold a candle to the DX7.
Hexter is missing richness. On the iPad I have the Vogel CMI. The
Vogel CMI seems to be a complete rip-off. I can't compare it with the
original Fairlight, but there's no need to do a direct comparison, the
emulation seems to be nearly unusable. I already pay much more money
than other apps usually cost for full versions, just to get the CMI
light version and to pay for the full version doesn't promise real
improvements.

Yesterday I watched some Jean Michel Jarre and Klaus Schulze live
videos. This synth music IMO isn't music for stage. I was bored silly.
They don't perform, really work as musicians, they just push a key, at
best a chord or touch a knob.

Playing classical music on a Moog at least provides the audience an
artist who is really working, playing an instrument.

I was surprised about some sounds when listening to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD-vYOCsgvY

Regarding the Internet Isao Tomita also plays a Mellotron on A Night on
Bare Mountain, that might explain why I was surprised about some
sounds :D.