Re: [LAU] realtime priority - FIFO vs Round Robin and scheduling

From: Luka Prinčič / Nova deViator <nova@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 27 2016 - 10:26:40 EEST

Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>:

> > Luka Prin?i? / Nova deViator:
> >

> > Renoise seems to be running some threads with FIFO scheduler with a
> > priority that is _below_ that of JACK and firewire driver (correct
> > right?), but ALSO some threads using Round Robin scheduler with VERY
> > HIGH RT priority of 95. my question is if this is a possible cause
> > for glitches and XRUNS?
>

> This thread could be a watchdog thread, in which case a priority of 95
> should be unproblematic.
>
> The glitches and XRUNS you see are probably due to other reasons
> than thread priorities. Renoise is probably doing some time consuming
> things in the jack thread, or is the victim of priority inversion, or
> waiting for a non-realtime thread doing some work.

thanks,

this is interesting.

i'm slowly coming to conclusion that nothing
really helps regarding Renoise when it communicates with other
programs. as standalone there are no problems, no (serious) glitches.
but when sending MIDI to SuperCollider which converts that to OSC and
sends that to Processing it just stutters intolerably from time to
time. happened during live performance about three times two days
ago. :(. it's really a shame since I love it and will continue using it
for composition, but, live situation - composing audio-visuals - seems
like no go.

if anyone's curious, I have tried (this was actually primary setup)
Renoise on laptop, sending MIDI to SuperCollider sending OSC over the
network to video machine with Processing runnning. very similar
situation. glitches. few, but still too many.

in very near future I plan to do some stress tests with only
SuperCollider doing audio-intensive work and triggering Processing at
the same time. we'll see how that goes if I take Renoise out of
equation.

in the meantime, there's also a little thread on Renoise forums:
http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/47767-linux-priority-too-high/

ha, also discovered there's a separate tuning list
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-tuning

best,
Luka