Re: [LAU] Seq24 - 0.8.7, 0.93, Seq42 or maybe something else?

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 05 2016 - 19:42:28 EEST

On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 14:09:38 +0200
"Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jostein@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> What do you find easiest and best to use when only focusing to make
> tracks and arrangements as fast as possible? What do you use and
> what do you think?

IMHO, it is worth a look at Bitwig's scenes and clips. See image
below. Over the years I have used Muse and Seq24, then went to
recording only for some time.

Bitwig's scenes is very much transparent. It does not get in the way
when laying out ideas. It uses copy/paste/move as easily as the same
operations for text. Scenes can be added as needed. A scene can be
activated as well as individual cells. Both can be told what to do
after playing once. And it interfaces with those Launchpads, if one
needs that.

This said, what's good with this approach is that it is possible to
easily mix anything. For instance, on the illustration, it would be
possible to quickly move scenes 2 to 11 one line below (even though it
shows the mixing controls, it can be expanded), copy scene 1, put in the
now empty second line, remove the 'chop suei' cell and record a brand
new cell with the same MIDI instrument. The contents of every cell can
be edited.

Modular and easiness of use. Each little bit of idea is represented by
a cell, that can be very short, or 100 bars long.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/app/uploads/2012/01/mixer-clip-launcher.png

When a sequence is decided upon, then it can be recorded in a DAW or in
Bitwig itself. The scenes and cells could either be played live or
being told what to do next, and recorded as they are played.