Re: [LAU] Google Magenta project's first composition

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Jun 06 2016 - 10:55:54 EEST

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 17:16:45 +1000 (EST), Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>How is that any different from the human learning process?

The answer quasi was given by Fons:

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 09:50:49 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>* self-awareness: being aware of its own existence in some
>context, the way it is sustained physically, and being able
>to act in ways that may affect this existence, and
>
>* awareness of others entities who share the same or similar
>conditions.

The context was a little bit different, but it remains true for
learning to do artwork, too. The computer has got absolutely no kind of
awareness, in the context of understanding life. It can not learn to
become creative.

AI can learn to distinguish words, but it even doesn't learn the
meaning of the words. The pattern detection learns by feedback to
distinguish words, but to understand what the words mean, it checks a
data bank and then follows conventionally programmed rules, to react.
It's similar for composing. Google pretend to do research regarding
artificial creativity, but the way they're doing it is ridiculous and
will lead to big nothing.

A human child learns to distinguish words, the meaning of the words, to
use the words creatively for life, in interaction with life experience,
since only this allows to learn the meaning and usage of the words.

AI as we know it has absolutely nothing in common with human intellect.

Regards,
Ralf