Re: [LAU] Seq24 - 0.8.7, 0.93, Seq42 or maybe something else?

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 06 2016 - 12:18:48 EEST

On 05/06/2016 14:09, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> Long time, so see! I'm back again after another heart attack and a diabetes
> diagnosis. But I'm feeling better that I did even several years ago. Well,
> thats enough self pithiness, here is my case: :-)
>
> I have decided to test Seq24 again as a creative, effective and efficient MIDI
> sequencing tool for composing and arranging. But over the years, I have found
> it unstable enough to destroy my creative flow when I'm in that mood. That
> situation also goes also for the 0.92 one at the Seq24 project site at
> launchpad.net.
>
> So before I try 0.93 and get it under my skin, how about Seq42 or even
> something else? I'm very comfortable with Rosegarden, but Seq24 is probably
> the fastest thing to use and setup when one quickly want to put some tracks
> together for creative usage or arranging.
>
> What do you find easiest and best to use when only focusing to make tracks and
> arrangements as fast as possible? What do you use and what do you think?

For me it's Rosegarden possibly connected to a GM soundfont depending on
what I want to do. I do have a cupole of "helper scripts" here and there
(e.g. one which will launche Fluidsynth with a GM soundfont, autoconnect
to jack, anotherone which launche yoshim with alsa and jack autoconnect).

I could go into details of the many (sometimes small) features which for
me make Rosegarden the preferred tool for even jotting down musical
ideas etc. but I'm not sure it would be of general interest in this topic :)

BTW I'm working on a rather large project where I need to produce
quickly a lot of musical ideas and Rosegarden is the main
sequencing/compositional tool.

Lorenzo.