Re: [LAU] music (& LV2 plugins)

From: S D <stephen.doonan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 23 2016 - 06:41:21 EEST

On Jun 22, 2016 8:38 PM, "Glen MacArthur" <info@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> One more thing... regarding Barry's Satan Maximizer
>
> It works wonders on anything percussive (including Pianos). If you don't
> mind indulging me try this and see what you think...
>
> Take one of your piano tracks in Ardour and add the Barry's Satan
> Maximizer after Pianoteq but pre-fader, BSM only has 2 controls so set the
> the top one "Decay time (samples)" to 24 and then set the "Knee point
> (db)" to approximately -3. See what you think,

I will definitely try this! And thanks so much for the suggestion. For many
years I wanted to be a drummer and resented the fact that my parents made
me take piano lessons. I was in love with rhythm and syncopation and when I
didn't have to practice my stupid simplified classical compositions (just
kidding) I would bang on the piano as though it were a percussion
instrument (which of course it actually is, I suppose). I've written many a
(juvenile) piece that was very heavy on rhythm and light on melody or
harmonic inventiveness.

So, I'll lay down a piano track that is particularly percussive or rhythmic
and try the Barry's Satan Maximizer first at your suggested settings, and
then play with it some more. It will be fun.

Anyway, thanks again. (and thanks to Paul too, and to Lukas for his plugin
suggestions).

-Steve