Re: [LAU] LinnStrument on Linux

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Jul 17 2016 - 19:41:11 EEST

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 12:15:55 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>You could make an argument that the iPad is better value for money
>than the Linnstrument, and I might not even disagree. But I don't
>think you really understand anything about the physical interaction
>that the Linnstrument makes possible.

That's correct. My point of view is just based on the value-for-money
ratio and the abilities regarding slides provided by instruments such as
e.g. Animoog (an iPad app), plus the fact that classical instruments
already provide much range for new playing techniques and that MIDI has
got limitations.
Indeed, I know everything about classic MIDI, but I never heard of MPE.
IMO intrducing new MIDI features at the same time that new computers
are unable to deliver the same jitter free hard real-time as old
computers do, is idiotic.

IMO getting something completely new, in one, as e.g. an iPad is one
approach, but trying to extend a weak interface to provide more than is
sane, is a step into the wrong direction.

MIDI always had limitations, with new computers, new issues were
introduced. Trying to expand MIDI isn't wise. It's better to introduce
a new standard, completely detached from the old MIDI standard.

Btw. there were many inventions, such as the Chapman Stick, but in the
end musicians most of the times preferred to invent new playing
techniques instead of playing new instruments such as the Chapman
Stick, let alone grotesque new instruments. Good new instruments are
something else and they are welcome, but a touch screen for MIDI usage
unlikely is something useful.

Linn always provided pretentious crap. Nobody is asking for the once
unpayable expensive Linn Drums, but everybody likes to use vintage
Roland drum machine emulations.

Regards,
Ralf