Re: [LAU] [Music] Sans titre - Without title

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 18 2016 - 03:57:47 EEST

On Saturday, July 16, 2016 11:17:10 AM EDT Robert Edge wrote:
> There is no actual analog volume control on the 1010LT's RCA inputs, it's
> just doing multiplication on the captured signal after the ADC.

What - did I read that right?
This card definitely has analog volume input control.
The 'Analog Volume' mixer tabs in Envy24 or Mudita24 control it.

> If you are
> clipping the input turning the volume down in the software interface just
> gives you a scaled down version of the clipped signal.
>
> It is better to monitor the actual numbers coming off of the ADC chip.
> That way 0 dbFS on your meter in Ardour or whatever is actually 0dbFS at
> the ADC.
>
> In Envy24 control that means setting the 'analog volume' slider to 127,
> that's where you are actually seeing what's coming off the chip. Above
> that and the captured signal is being scaled up and below that the captured
> signal is being scaled down. Control your input level in the analog world
> before you hit the card. Shoot for peaks around -12dbFS.
>
> Also: there are jumpers on the card itself, you can use the XLR inputs as
> line level balanced ins. In my experience that's the best fidelity you can
> get with this card.

BTW About the jumpers that control input level: There are undocumented
 'in-between' jumper settings for the input level. (The jumpers just switch
 various resistors in or out.)
I discovered the settings and was forced to use them when the existing
 choices of levels were not quite enough for me.

Tim.