Re: [LAU] LADSPA Plugins from ALSA,would like some help, please !

From: Tweed <tweed@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 07 2016 - 20:48:21 EEST

On 09/07/16 12:06, bricolodu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for the answers, I was feeling a little bit alone !
>
> Well, Chris, Let me try to answer, It is a kind of a challenge to work with
> a 2" speaker and try to get bass, that is why I tried it.
>
> May be you are right I will never succeed. But Bose SoundLink mini is not so
> bad at this game.
> It is one of the only Bose mass market product that is musical.
> My challenge is to have a better system, I don't think I have succeeded yet,
> although I don't have a Bose Soundlink mini to compare with.
>
> Ok, that said, after a little time spent with the settings, I'm just able to
> have more Boom Boom like a bad sono from the 80's. I could decrease the
> settings though.
>
> I recognised that I hoped for something else...
> By the way according to the box my 2" speaker is in, without any settings, I
> can go down to less than 60 Hz ! But then, the size of the box is too big,
> around 5L and I want 0.5L !
>
> Now,there is something I didn't understand in your point:
> /you are trying to give the impression of more bass by adding
> distortion? / YES
>
> /I think that trick works best when the speaker system can get down to
> within one octave of full bass response, so down to below 80Hz for sure, /
> It is the case with the 5L box, I can even listen to 30 Hz although
> attenuated !
>
> /and you have to be careful to not apply enough distortion that everything
> sounds worse./ Right, just boom boom like a sono
>
> /You may also need something like a speaker crossover, where
> only frequencies below the bass cutoff of the speaker system are sent to
> the distortion circuit,/
> This is what I'm doing, a low pass that cuts everything above 200 Hz first.
>
> /then the output of that goes through a high pass to get rid of the low
> frequencies which cannot be reproduced by the speaker, / Why ? To lower
> distortion ? What cut-off Frequency ? It will be very limited if I use the
> 0.5L box, the natural cutoff frequency of the box is around 150 Hz.
>
> /and the harmonics added back in to the original source to create the
> illusion. /
> This is what I'm doing.
>
> Fons,
> /It's not clear what the OP wants to do: /
>
> /1. Create the impression of more bass by generating harmonics of the
> bass signals that the speaker can't reproduce, or
> / YES
> /2. Create a new bass signal one octave below the original one.
> NO, that is not what I'm trying to achieve.
> The latter would be pointless when using a 2" speaker./
>
> /The first can be done in a limited frequency range. If your speaker
> goes down to 120 Hz or so you can get the impression of lower bass
> *by generating enough harmonics (both even and odd) of the 50..120Hz
> range. *If the speaker cuts of at 250 Hz or so then just forget it,
> it won't work. Some of the people I work with have tried to do this
> [...]
(Sorry meant to send to list)

Are you trying to generate a resultant? Basically are you trying to
replace the fundamental (in this case the actual low end) with the
'phantom' fundamental generated by adding 2 harmonics above (musically,
the octave and octave plus 5th above that) to the actual fundamental and
then somehow removing the actual fundamental?

--
www.the-temp-agency.com/lollipop-factory