[LAU] Writing midi events via Alsa/Jack

From: Bill Purvis <bill@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 08 2016 - 22:18:23 EEST

Dear LAU friends!

A long time ago I acquire a Korg X5DR synth module. I then wrote a
simple midi sequencer that
wrote stuff out to the module via the serial port (the X5DR has a 56Kb
serial input in addition to
the conventional 32Kb Midi ports). This worked fine and I had lots of
fun playing it.

Things moved on and my machines now no longer have serial ports, but a
USB/Serial adaptor cable
got me over that one.

More recently again, things have on a lot, and after a certain amount of
trial and error I managed to
adapt my sequencer to talk to to Yoshimi via Jack using the Alsa
routines and QJackCtl to set up the
links. One odd thing I noticed was that QJackCtl shows my programs
output port and the Yoshimi input ports
on the ALSA page, rather than the MIDI page. I now want to connect up
the Calf Fluidsynth, but that
shows the input ports on the MIDI page.

Anyone with enough knowhow of programming the ALSA interfaces willing to
sort out my problem?
My present code for setting up the port has:

       out_port = snd_seq_create_simple_port(seq, "MFE: output port",
SND_SEQ_PORT_CAP_READ|SND_SEQ_PORT_CAP_SUBS_READ,
                     SND_SEQ_PORT_TYPE_APPLICATION);

which sounds odd (READ?) but I gather the parameters actually specify
the far end, rather than the
near end.

I'd like to be able to use this with Fluidsynth and Yoshimi it different
times, but I guess I'd need
to have a command line option to vary the code to get the different
class of outputs.

Any pointers to something that can explain the difference between the
two categories would be most helpful

Many thanks

Bill