Re: [LAU] Music Made With Linux - Evergreen - I'll Get To You

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 08 2016 - 23:04:39 EEST

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 09:10:28 -0700
"Glen MacArthur" <info@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On this project I really gave the guys free reign on everything
> including the mastering, their impression after several listens and
> versions on various earbud, car and home stereo systems was to have
> the bass there. My own personal preference was to have it a bit
> louder and let that big 26" kick drum and bass represent but in the
> end the 'customer is always right' :).

As long as the bass is represented between 400Hz and 2KHz it should
fare well for ear buds, kitchen and regular car players (not the ones
that try very hard to unscrew every bolt in the car with the huge
sub-basses). At least that's how I'm learning it at the moment. That
representation can be the bass transients, for instance.

What I did recently was to exaggerate the principle and duplicate a
bass track (synth, though) then apply high and low pass filters to get
basically something inside the 400-2000 Hz range, and then blended it
in with the regular bass. This was a rough approach, although the
principle means that the bass sounds does not have to be limited to
specific range, that it is possible to have both deeper frequencies for
people who have the sound systems while maintaining compatibility for
earbuds and such.

Cheers.