Re: [LAU] Childrens educational media and youtube promotions

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 09 2016 - 01:47:38 EEST

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 00:15:56 +0200
"Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 21:37:03 +0000
> > Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >> Am I the only one who finds this sort of thing utterly disgusting
> >> (keeping in mind that it's done for profit) ?
> >
> > It does have a strange, non-inviting aura. As if it was done
> > totally, completely, uninterested. As a kid, it could be scary :)

> The content has been screen tested on kids across a vatirty of ages
> and none of them were scared. They actually enjoy singing along and
> practicing the vocab especially with parents participating.

> > Speaking of, although in a more creative, jazzy way, singer UA did a
> > series of videos for children. With almost 500,000 views:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oViLi0KEw6g
> >
> > Must have been a riot for her and comparse ont he TV set that day.
>
> The top kids channel on youtube has had billions of views. Check out
> ChuChu TV if you haven't already come across it.

UA only did this once and it is so funny.

> As a parent with two children I know all the songs by heart and many
> more.
>
> The point of this channel is not to compete with them but to do
> something different. Our research has not come across any other
> learning material that combines fractal animations and classical
> music. If you have young children then you will know what it means to
> listen to the same songs for weeks at a time. We are simply trying to
> provide an alternate viewing option that will appeal to parents and
> children too.
>
> Of course it is early days so we are under no illusions that we have
> mastered the method yet. There's always room for improvement.

Purely from an educational aspect, in other words, sticking to what
makes the value of a product in such a market, why would fractal
animations give any edge ? IMHO, it makes it more blurry.
What's needed from an educational point of view is conciseness,
clarity. That said, it does not mean to leave out poetry and art, of
course.

Large black backgrounds for kids are not very inviting, isn't it ? It
is understandable to have that to get the fluo out of the colours, but
black ? Black is not a welcome colour for kids, Polynesian and
elsewhere, no ? I mean, even as early days, how can business interest
be generated like that ? I agree there's room for creativity in
childrens' educational material, but black ? I refer to the video.

As a side note, wouldn't that be "kindergarten kids" instead ?

BTW, I clicked 2-3 times on the three links and after that the page
would not respond anymore. firefox browser.