Re: [LAU] Childrens educational media and youtube promotions

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 09 2016 - 02:16:32 EEST

> On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 00:15:56 +0200
> "Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>> > It does have a strange, non-inviting aura. As if it was done
>> > totally, completely, uninterested. As a kid, it could be scary :)
>
>> The content has been screen tested on kids across a vatirty of ages
>> and none of them were scared. They actually enjoy singing along and
>> practicing the vocab especially with parents participating.
>
>> > Speaking of, although in a more creative, jazzy way, singer UA did a
>> > series of videos for children. With almost 500,000 views:
>> >
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oViLi0KEw6g
>> >
>> > Must have been a riot for her and comparse ont he TV set that day.
>>
>> The top kids channel on youtube has had billions of views. Check out
>> ChuChu TV if you haven't already come across it.
>
> UA only did this once and it is so funny.

I wonder how much money and how many people were involved in the
production and marketing process. Did the artist have the support of an
established media organisation or perhaps a promotional slot on
Oprah/Ellen/The View/etc...

>> As a parent with two children I know all the songs by heart and many
>> more.
>>
>> The point of this channel is not to compete with them but to do
>> something different. Our research has not come across any other
>> learning material that combines fractal animations and classical
>> music. If you have young children then you will know what it means to
>> listen to the same songs for weeks at a time. We are simply trying to
>> provide an alternate viewing option that will appeal to parents and
>> children too.
>>
>> Of course it is early days so we are under no illusions that we have
>> mastered the method yet. There's always room for improvement.
>
> Purely from an educational aspect, in other words, sticking to what
> makes the value of a product in such a market, why would fractal
> animations give any edge ? IMHO, it makes it more blurry.
> What's needed from an educational point of view is conciseness,
> clarity. That said, it does not mean to leave out poetry and art, of
> course.

I like working with fractal animations.

> Large black backgrounds for kids are not very inviting, isn't it ? It
> is understandable to have that to get the fluo out of the colours, but
> black ? Black is not a welcome colour for kids, Polynesian and
> elsewhere, no ? I mean, even as early days, how can business interest
> be generated like that ? I agree there's room for creativity in
> childrens' educational material, but black ? I refer to the video.

It helps make the colors pop.

> As a side note, wouldn't that be "kindergarten kids" instead ?

Kinder Surprise...

> BTW, I clicked 2-3 times on the three links and after that the page
> would not respond anymore. firefox browser.

Known bug. Will get round to fixing it soon.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd