Re: [LAU] Yoshimi - trying to help newbies

From: termtech <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 10 2016 - 23:51:07 EEST

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 7:59:32 PM EDT Will Godfrey wrote:
> Right from V 0.016 we had the default MIDI and audio set for Jack, and soon
> after that we abandoned the beginners Gui option.
>
> Since then a lot has changed, and I'm wondering if we should reappraise
> these decissions.
>
> Fairly recently we gave a nod in the direction of helping beginners by
> making the virtual keyboard appear alongside the main window on a very
> first time startup. Personally, I think that's better than a dumbed down
> Gui.

Sure. They can quickly close it, so it's probably more helpful to show it
 at first, as in "Testing... is yoshimi working? Make some noise for me!".

> These days, we also have the short Yoshimi guide that tries to get new users
> started.
>
> Now I'm wondering if we should change the first-time startup to an all Alsa
> configuration. It would make no difference to existing users, as for quite a
> while these have been re-settable preferences, and are stored in the config
> file.
>
> Would it get us closer to a 'just works' position?

How about popping up a first-time dialog and asking?
The problem remains though: Which default, Alsa or Jack, to set
 the dialog at so that busy users can quickly hit Enter and move on.
I'd say start with all Alsa - IF nothing else is using it exclusively.
If Jack is already running, the user likely wants Jack audio + midi
 so use it. If not then auto-start Jack but only if they choose Jack.

Nice work on the switching times. Quantum leaps, eh?
Tim.