Re: [LAU] yoshimi, zyn and Ardour

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 18 2016 - 21:17:27 EEST

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 08:02:34 -1000
David Jones <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> But tabs inside a single window completely remove the ability to see
> the contents of 2 different tabs entirely. So should that be needed
> anywhere - the option is not there at all.

Yes. But, is there a real need to see them at the same time ?

> In the Windows world, it's the difference in usability between Excel
> and Word. I prefer separate windows, you think it "clutter". I'm glad
> Zyn/Yoshimi thinks my way. ;)

You lost me in Windows world. I have no idea, or barely.

I use Mixbus 32C, Renoise, Bitwig, synths, email client and web
browser, all running at the same time. All in their respective
desktop. I am using that principle since 15 years at it works nicely,
at home and at work. At work I may have all consoles connecting to
servers in one desktop, all consoles for local compiling/development
work in another, emacs on its own full screen desktop. I always use the
same keys to switch from one desktop to another. It takes a fraction
of a second. No clutter.

Many windows from a single app on the same desktop when there is no
real need to have them, yes, clutter. I think that going this way is
just making up for not thinking much about the UI in the first place,
delegating part of the UI design to the user at run time on the account
of flexibility.

As far as it see it, not many applications are going that way. Maybe
even, rare ?