Re: [LAU] John Option: new song and new video

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2016 - 19:33:50 EEST

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:15:41 +0200
"Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> If you have to ask...*

> You are relatively new to Linux Audio ...

True. I could only trace back messages of mine in LAU to 2006.

I am very sorry as I have forgotten the user name I was using while
living in Germany prior to that, when I was building from scratch Linux
Systems (LFS, BLFS) as well as Muse and other audio applications. I'm
quite certain I posted in LAU at that time. Sorry.

To make it short, Linux has provided bread and butter on the table since
2000.

I would say yes, this is relatively new.

As Shunryu Suzuki (the little Suzuki of the Tassajara Zen center, not
the big one) said:

"always a beginner !"

> ... but it has been a long effort
> over 20 years to get Linux Audio to the point where it is now. It has
> been a concerted community effort on many fronts and there are
> literally thousands of people who have contributed to the overall
> platform.

Interesting.

> That Linux Audio has matured to the point where people like
> yourself are not really concerned about the underlying foundation is
> a small win but that doesn't mean people like myself will stop or
> should stop evangelizing for Linux Audio.

Earlier this year you posted in 'Childrens educational media and
youtube promotions' (LAU)

 "In return I will be happy to do the same for your videos and assist
  with promoting via the "Linux Music Videos" playlist.

  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGRkb-jpsg0XYGVkE1zpJzQtwrEGKBYO6
  "

Then I clicked on the first piece of that page, it turns out to be a
quite a bad piece, really. And I say that beyond a question of taste.
People can sleep on their keyboards and come up with that.

And then the second piece is Mozart with a video that is about
correlations between E.T.s and pyramids and the 'facts' supporting
that. Which might be taken from the French documentary.

Now don't get me wrong, I think there is much more to ancient history
and the pyramids and all that that we know, way more.

But, this is Linux isn't it ?

And then the other pieces do not get much better.

Then Phil has put one video, as well as DeViator and recently, John
Option. To make it short. In any case, the list of videos is short by
itself.

Now I can see it coming, it would go like: "Well, it's up to you to
make it better ! Post your songs there and help promote Linux ! If
everybody would do that it would be great !"

But, the only thing with this, is that it does not offer a fertile
ground to do so. To state it bluntly, why would I want a piece I made,
on which I have spent so many hours composing, articulating, mixing and
all that, and putting a part of my heart and soul into it, right beside
pieces that can be made while sleeping (and I do not mean to get
influence from the world of dreams, but rather to collapse on a
keyboard :) more or less ?

It is nice to have all the ideology to promote and to contribute, but
it also have to be backed up substantially.

The time when making C64-like sounds on a new OS developed by a Swedish
guy in Finland is long passed.

> Another example is the massive marketing budgets that various industry
> players use to promote there products. The marketing effort keeps
> their brand in the periphery.

Er, the massive marketing budgets usually bring some results, if the
product is good. And even so, there is no need to have massive
marketing budgets. So many software companies in the audio realm
demonstrate that.

OTOH, if what you meant is that because Linux is not so popular then
companies do not risk themselves in porting their products to that
platform, then this is true. No later that this week I asked Oskari
in Finland if the Corona synth could have a Linux counterpart, and the
response was that the effort for a result of selling 10 copies does not
worth it. I asked mastering engineer Ian Shepperd if the plugin he has
designed could have a Linux counter part - not worth the effort.

Yes, I would like to have more plugins, more synths and all that for
Linux (although my wallet is very happy with the current situation). I
was thrilled and still am today at this very hour, of having found the
u-he products for Linux.

What we can see, in addressing promotion, is that in face of the
industry, the promotion of Linux has to be up to the game.

A ghost will not do the job. And this goes back to the comment above
about having a fertile ground. It takes time and effort and cannot be
only a few key strokes to make a web page or some sounds put together
and then hoping that 'everybody' will join in and make it BIG ! No.

> It's true that many Linux people have serious reservations about the
> music industry in general. Taking it head on that doesn't mean that
> we agree with the system. IMO, applying our combined
> expertise/resources to promote Linux Audio and the artists using
> Linux tools is still a valid use of our collective effort.

Again, the ideology, the leitmotiv, is obviously good, but the
execution is way sub par.

Cheers.