Re: [LAU] Building ffmpeg (was: Building avplay)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Oct 07 2016 - 20:03:15 EEST

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 12:40:47 -0400, jonetsu wrote:
>On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 12:21:38 -0400 wrote:
>make install

Make love, not install

http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/checkinstall

Ubuntu Wikis often are a PITA, but I've got no time to edit them at the
moment.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall

This Wiki already starts with "aptitude", that shouldn't be used by
Ubuntu Wikis/help pages.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man8/checkinstall.8.html

./configure
make
sudo checkisntall

It's self-explaining. Even running configure and make might not be
required, but I would run it anyway, even while checkinstall should
work without sudo and an additional sudo dpkg.

You not necessarily need to add dependencies. If I don't build DEBs the
Debian/Ubuntu way with control and rules files and a changelog, but
instead use checkinstall, I don't use all options, e.g. for Claws:

0 - Maintainer: [ Weremouse <silver.bullet@email-addr-hidden> ]
1 - Summary: [ A GTK+ based e-mail client - git checkout ]
2 - Name: [ claws-mail-git ]
3 - Version: [ 3.14.0-2-ge48b73 ]
4 - Release: [ 1 ]
5 - License: [ GPL3 ]
6 - Group: [ checkinstall ]
7 - Architecture: [ amd64 ]
8 - Source location: [ claws ]
9 - Alternate source location: [ ]
10 - Requires: [ ]
11 - Provides: [ claws-mail ]
12 - Conflicts: [ ]
13 - Replaces: [ ]

I don't add anything to Requires, Conflicts and Replaces.

Regards,
Ralf