Re: [LAU] Building ffmpeg (was: Building avplay)

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 07 2016 - 20:32:18 EEST

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 19:03:15 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 12:40:47 -0400, jonetsu wrote:
> >On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 12:21:38 -0400 wrote:
> >make install
>
> Make love, not install

Yes, but that will not help a bit .... wig.

A bit of background.

What is behind this is the problem that Bitwig cannot read some
AIFF files inasmuch as it will play them silently and will not show any
waveform for them. Whereas the same AIFF test file will play OK in
Ardour, Renoise and with vlc.

Exchanging with Bitwig support, the same AIFF file will play fine on
teir systems (Linux, Mac, Windows), so there might be a problem with
libav/ffmpeg. Ardour is using linsndfile (confirmed by Robin). I do
not know for Renoise and vlc, not easy to track with ldd.

Using then the original avplay from Linux Mint 17 on that file, and
comparing with another AIFF file that plays good, it turned out that
avplay cannot play that file.

So I built both libav and ffmepg from source since the Linux Mint 17
system is a tad old and I certainly do not want to upgrade the OS, at
least for now. Both players then can read the test file.

So it looks good so far, but they're installed in the
default /usr/local/ location.

And this is where the checkinstall, which I did not know about, utility
might be very handy, if it does what it says it can do.

So your commentary is very good timing ! Sehr toll.

Is there any other detail to be aware of, apart from the example you
provided, regarding running checkinstall and, most importantly, using
the generated package to replace the existing installed components ?