Re: [LAU] Building ffmpeg (was: Building avplay)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Oct 07 2016 - 20:54:35 EEST

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 13:32:18 -0400, jonetsu wrote:
>So it looks good so far, but they're installed in the
>default /usr/local/ location.

This shouldn't matter, if it should matter for bitwig, then flea a bug
against bitwig.

You could configure to chose the location /usr instead of /usr/local.

./configure --prefix=/usr

>And this is where the checkinstall, which I did not know about, utility
>might be very handy, if it does what it says it can do.
>
>So your commentary is very good timing ! Sehr toll.
>
>Is there any other detail to be aware of, apart from the example you
>provided, regarding running checkinstall and, most importantly, using
>the generated package to replace the existing installed components ?

No! Just keep in mind that Debian and Ubuntu split packages and
make install as well as checkinstall don't do this, so your package does
replace package.deb, libpackage.deb, libpackage-dev.deb etc. with
package.deb only, providing everything. So you need to remove all the
unneeded packages [1].

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/ffmpeg
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libav

PS:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall?action=diff&rev2=35&rev1=34

I replaced "abtitude" and now there's no time left to do the shopping.