Re: [LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 14 2016 - 13:39:25 EEST

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 09:19:27 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:51:01 -0400, jonetsu wrote:
> >Now where did you get the notion that this is about creating music ?
> >It is about plugins.

[snip Track Assistant text]

> So this only should happen for effect plugins and not for instrument
> and MIDI plugins such as an arpeggiator?

Since this is about mixing, processing audio, then it should apply to
every audio material.

> Why not recommending a synth plugin and arpeggio or a scale or chord
> progression, too?

It does not do that. This is extrapolation.

This said, in mass consumer musical products there are products who
will assist the player in rendering melodies, in various ways. I think
even Roland has addressed this market.

> I even can't see an advantage by such a default suggestion for audio
> engineering only. De facto it means that I at least need to turn off
> the exciter and reset the EQ and compressor module settings. This
> would be more work than adding a British EQ and if required a
> compressor, too, but perhaps I also want an overdrive.

An overdrive component is not included in mixing. This is out of
boudary, at least AFAICS. Tape saturation, yes. Overdrive, no.
Overdrive, flanger, etc, are FX. Whereas a mixing engineer can decide
to add some to a track on his own will (or rather after consulting
with the client), they are clearly out of the mixing realm. Mixing
happens after these FX are added, so to speak.

So it helps to clarify the role of interconnected, decision-taking
mixing plugins by keeping out squarely what is not about mixing.

> How should the analysis decide what kind of mix I want? Ducking?
> Vocals in contrast to the sax, but in harmony with the guitar or vice
> versa?

No, the machines are not taking over.

> This is an approach on the wrong track.
>
> Interconnectedness makes sense to sync timing, for interaction of
> parameters and other functionality, where interaction of parameters
> easily could become overwhelming.

And from interaction of parameters, to assisted decision taking.

> To get a default set-up for a vocal track as described above, just
> templates are required, as long as the user is able to realise that a
> vocal track is a vocal track, the user should be able to select the
> template with the vocal icon, as easy as turning on the "Track
> Assistant".

A template will obviously not recognize the audio it is being applied
on since it has no intelligence, since it is static. This is a large
difference with the approach sketched here, for the enjoyment of a
discussion.