Re: [LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 14 2016 - 18:31:57 EEST

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 07:52:41 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I am guessing that people are looking for:
> "make my guitar sound like <player> using <guitar>, through
> (cause we're making a cover)"
> Yup, sounds like art to me.

Again, it is at the mixing engineer level. Not at the
stage of personalizing the characteristics of individual sounds. The
mixing stage sees a set of tracks that hopefully embodies what the
client wants to do, wants to express. There might be some
characteristic tweaks here and there, re-amping, widening with chorus,
early reflections, etc, but the core of 'I want to sound like David
Glimour' or such is already being done.

NI has a guitar processing plugin based on Rammstein's guitarist
sound. That would be more in the vein maybe. There might be others
out there like that.

OTOH, I don't see what would be wrong with having a set of presets that
supposedly replicates a certain guitarist setup. That can provide a
starting point to explore further. I haven't checked for a (very
long) while but there was always a constant artist/gear relationship in
the press and in products. Guitars made according to Brian May, what
kind of pedals used for achieving this tone, etc...