Re: [LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2016 - 01:19:49 EEST

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 23:27:53 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> I don't claim that "suggestions" cause loosing control. My argument
> is, that it gains you nothing, more protocols, more code, to gain
> nothing, just cause bloatware that requires more resources and is
> more prone to bugs.

Bloatware.

When you only have donkeys, do not dream of horses. Because horses are
just bloated donkeys.

> >Separation. Clean separation of instruments in the audio field is a
> >must. You cannot do without it, unless the mix is meant to be
> >leaning towards mud, which can be a style on its own. Do you see how
> >plugins communicating between themselves could set up a basic
> >separation framework to assist the mixing engineer ?

> I can't. If you want to give each instrument it's own position in the
> frequency domain, it's still up to the engineer to decide, how it
> should be done. You could use presets for EQ settings as a starting
> point, but even those are less useful, at best they are hints for
> novices.

First of all, you would not start necessarily with EQ, but that's
another matter. In any case, using EQ and using presets would be not
very smart isn't it ? Not smart at all.

EQ presets.

Wow.

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 16:58:19 -0400, jonetsu wrote:

> >> It isn't about the existence of protocols, it's about the
> >> complexity of doing this via protocols at all.
> >
> >Well, if one uses OSPF to try to do VRRP...

> Could you give an example in what way the EQ and the compressor should
> talk to each other, to decide something? What should such a network be
> good for?

As a swag, after the first object location pass is done, based on the
style wished as a basic framework for 3D locations in the sonic field,
the knowledge about what was done is kept, which includes many aspects
such as what are the instruments and characteristics of each track.
This knowledge would then be used to help is establishing separation.

Now, a basic question here would be, where is that knowledge to be
stored ? That knowledge that was created by the joint analysis of
several plugins and modules. Making it a distributed knowledge would not
be realistic (TM) at all.