Re: [LAU] Ardour custom plugins system exposition

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 27 2016 - 17:07:17 EEST

On 10/27/2016 07:45 AM, david wrote:
> On 10/26/2016 05:56 PM, jonetsu wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 02:55:58 +0100
>> Yassin Philip <philcm@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>>> There is no QSynth plugin that I know of. At the moment, for my
>>> soundfont needs, I use Calf FluidSynth, it does the job but no
>>> envelop control, that sort of things. So, that's an example of need.
>>
>> http://qsynth.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> I used it a lot at one point in time. In conjunction with Seq24 for
>> instance:
>>
>> https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/c2016-c12c
>>
>> Can load many instruments, has reverb and chorus.
>
> Hmm, I see no Qsynth plugin there. I see QSynth. How does one use it as
> a plugin?

short answer: you don't. qsynth has no plugin form whatsoever.

though, there are the current alternatives:
a. fluidsynth-dssi: works on qtractor; no dice on ardour.
b. calf-fluidsynth (lv2): works on both, qtractor and ardour.
c. a-fluidsynth (lv2): same as above, but no gui here (stock/generic
host ui applies).

looking into the later, as Hanspeter already stated, you can load it and
work with it onto every lv2 host you can think about, provided you set
LV2_PATH environment variable appropriately

eg. export LV2_PATH="/usr/local/lib/ardour5/LV2:$LV2_PATH"
(nb. in my case, ardour5 is installed below /usr/local; ymmv).

once set permanently (maybe on .profile or .bashrc) you may find Ardour
Team's plugins from any other lv2 host, like say, qtractor (which i
think is what you're after;)

ps. i've tested and it works, although i kind of fail to make the
a-fluidsynth reverb settings to work somehow. chorus yes. reverb nope.
maybe's my bad, maybe already fixed upstream. anyway, as far as i can
tell, it really doesn't give you access to most of the internal sf2
controls. but again, for that matter, neither do calf, qsynth or
fluidsynth-dssi.

hth.
cheers

--