Re: [LAU] Real Time (this is the name of a song, actually :p)

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 27 2016 - 18:02:52 EEST

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 15:20:11 +0100
Yassin Philip <philcm@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Yes I see what you mean, it annoys me too, but wait, you mean it does
> that for everybody, not just for the logged account? How does it
> work, I mean, if you like something, and then I listen to one of your
> song (you forgot to post the URL) then I will listen to that song you
> liked afterwards? Hum. Not completely irrelevant OTOH. But anyway I
> see you point.

I recently 'like' a friend's music piece and it was added to the
'favorites' section. At that time at least SC behaved in such a way
that when one of my piece has ended, the next to be played os taken
from the favorites. Since them I 'liked' some of my music to add them
to the favorites.

Octave, from Iceland, seems to be quite good as an alternative but
unfortunately it's $20 a month. octave.is

> One of my friend who's a trade sound engineer texted me today "leave
> your mix alone now, it's fine" (and that's only /after/ he said
> "beautiful classic song") and he /never/ said that in 20 years. I
> could fly right now :) time for a new one, lets pump it up a little
> (now that we finally understand what attack and release mean on a
> compressor :p) let's downright dance, what if we? Wait, the kitchen.
> I forgot about the kitchen. Dang.

Nothing's wrong with dancing in the kitchen. So much the better the
food will be. Coffee grinder can also be pulsed to the beat.

Speaking of:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bpmtempotime.htm

It is common to have the release time of the compressor relative to the
BPM. For instance, to have the compressor in 1/8 notes for a BPM of
130, it would be 231ms. Compression should be there and subtle. There
is no need, I think, for a dreamy song, to have heavy compressor.
Actually this dreamy feeling would be good for a vintage compressor,
whose emulation of tubes and transformers would bring added warmth. But
there's only one in Linux, the Fairchild from OvertoneDSP, and is not
Open Source.

Cheers.