Re: [LAU] Mixbus 32C (based on Ardour) and Reaper shootout

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Oct 28 2016 - 17:34:58 EEST

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 10:17:16 -0400, Robert Edge wrote:
>> The name 32C comes from the 32C hardware that it emulates.
>>
>> It emulates... because... it is software. Yes, this is about a
>> softwar product. Mixbus 32C is a software product, based on
>> Ardour. As the subject line states. Just making sure everyone is
>> one the same page.
>>

>Harrison has been mostly in the business of making digital consoles
>for a couple decades now.
>
>The previous product with the Mixbus name used the EQ, dynamics, and
>tape saturation algorithms from those consoles, thus literally
>providing the same channel strip. Not an emulation, the same thing.
>At least that is what Harrison claimed.
>
>So yes, the distinction matters.

And this is the important point I try to point out. Assuming the
software should be as good as a mixing console, it doesn't matter if
it's as good as the tools provided by the analog or digital consoles.
The difference is that the engineers and artists used a mixing console,
not some software for a desktop PC, a sound card and a mouse. The mixing
console has got inputs, faders and knobs. The differences of usable EQs
are less important, for the sound, as well as for the work-flow.

Regards,
Ralf