Re: [LAU] Mixbus 32C (based on Ardour) and Reaper shootout

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Oct 28 2016 - 21:32:38 EEST

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 19:12:56 +0200, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
>Harrison emulates the sound of the 32C EQ very closely and
>Mixbus/Mixbus32C have an analogue like work flow as closely as
>practically possible in a modern DAW.

Neither should an usable EQ nor the complete mixing console add its
individual characteristics to the sound. An EQ shouldn't add "warmth"
or anything else to the sound, it should simply allow to amplify or
attenuate frequencies with a wanted quality (width). That mixing
consoles could sound different, e.g. in regards to "warmth" is caused
by the complete chain, especially by the IOs and bad designed EQs, but
it shouldn't "add" warmth, cheap mixing consoles remove warmth, while
expensive mixers cause less biased signals.

Regarding the work-flow I have difficulties to understand how software
could be compared, when using the same hardware, sound card, mouse or
remote mixer. If they use the same sound card, just different, but well
designed EQs, then there should be no sound differences either.

I agree that some DAWs are a PITA and that others are good, this has to
do with the complete design of the user interface, comparing the sound
quality of professional DAWs and professional mixing consoles, analog
or digital, is nonsense. This is not Hifi gear that adds an individual
note to the sound. Pro equipment should do it's job and should be easy
to repair. If an EQ, IOs, a fader adds warmth or any other bias to the
sound, then it's a bad designed mixer. This is true for hardware and
software mixers.

The sound quality of expensive hardware mixers shouldn't be a topic.
They are all very good. It's the same for recording software, but while
hardware has it's fixed design and could provide a good work-flow,
software needs to care about different screen sizes, different remote
controls, so a comparison makes sense in regards to the work-flow, when
using the same monitor and external remote devices.

Regards,
Ralf