Re: [LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 01 2016 - 15:54:52 EET

I wrote that to make a point, Fons. I was not seriously saying that I
really do consider that "evil".

"Interesting or not, it's a misrepresentation of people who think
like that, a typical simplification to black and white categories.
Things are bit more subtle.
Payments not being anonymous is in itself nothing evil."

I don't know who are "people who think like that", but Mr. Stallman
will definitely not agree with you. He refuses to use credit cards
and writes propagandistic articles about how others should not
use them too.

Who advertises things to you through credit cards?!

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 02:31:06PM +0100, Massimo Barbieri wrote:
>
> > Il 01/11/2016 14:17, Louigi Verona ha scritto:
> >
> > > Really depends on your definition of "nasty" and "evil". Some people
> > > consider lack of anonymity doing payments as "evil". The are, of
> course,
> > > free to do that, but they should not expect others to agree with them.
> >
> > This is an interesting point of view.
>
> Interesting or not, it's a misrepresentation of people who think
> like that, a typical simplification to black and white categories.
> Things are bit more subtle. Payments not being anonymous is in
> itself nothing evil. But when that lack of anonimity is used to
> systematically collect data on people's purchasing habits and
> interests, and that data is then sold to whoever is prepared to
> pay for it, then it can become something 'evil' very easily.
>
> Regarding viewing DVDs on linux: if you need some 'unofficial'
> libraries I'd call that 'inconvenient' rather than 'evil'.
> And it's not the open source people who are forcing DRM on
> consumers. Blame the right ones for once.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> A world of exhaustive, reliable metadata would be an utopia.
> It's also a pipe-dream, founded on self-delusion, nerd hubris
> and hysterically inflated market opportunities. (Cory Doctorow)

Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.com/