Re: [LAU] [OT] Looking for symphony with good counterpoint or independent voices

From: J. C. <julien@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 01 2016 - 17:21:00 EET

Nov 1 2016, David Santamauro has written:
> If you are concerned about orchestration of polyphony (your own or an
> orchestration of someone else), then I'd grab an orchestration book and study
> examples of fore/middle/background techniques[1]. Of course, Mozart's Jupiter
> symphony is by far one of the more complex examples (quintuple fugue). Adler
> analyzes this section quite nicely (pulled book off shelf and blew the dust
> off :) ). There are other examples that are analyzed in that section and
> although not strictly polyphonic, they detail the idea of orchestral colors
> for each of the elements (fore/middle/background)--and of course, what is
> polyphony if not a collection of elements ...
No book reading - especially with note practical score analysis - for
me, since I'm blind, but thanks for the terms, these should yield more
theoretical results on the internet.

> Have a look at Mahler, Symphony #5 2nd and 3rd movements. The 3rd has a small
> fugue that is developed throughout. Brahms' Symphony #1 1st movement has
> "vertical" polyphony per se and the presto has wonderful imitation based on
> the rising/descending lines of the introduction. And of course, Holst Planets
> (Jupiter): wonderful fore/middle/background technique.
Thank you so very much, this will help. I've gone and bookmarked those
on youtube and will listen to them all. They should help.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

> Hope that helps ...
>
> [1] Adler: The Study of Orchestration (Ch 15)

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3