Re: [LAU] Qtractor - & friends - ONE WINDOW setup!!

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 03 2016 - 18:51:51 EET

On Thu, 3 Nov 2016, Yassin Philip wrote:

> One can go further and specify precise sizes, positions and layouts, and put them
> in the config file, and switch to them on-the-fly. Oh, and of course everything
> can be resized/re-positioned with the keyboard. i3, by default, uses the super
> (win logo) key in a very elegant, mnemonically and unobtrusive way. Fantastic,
> told ya.
>
> Now let me tell you, the real fun begins. No window overlap, no more "always on
> top" hacks, or putting down the guitar pick to fiddle with the (*$-@+°#¤!) mouse
> ; Everything respond at the touch of a key, this is per-fick :) cheers everybody.
> Programmers, musicians, carpenters and motocyclists, lovers, friends,
> acquaintances, etc. and of course (duh) every combination of it :)

Sounds great. Coming from a dual screen xfce with edit on one screen and
mixer on the other, I had not thought of these problems. I am super glad
you have figured it out, but the thought that did cross my mind was:
Control surface? I hate mice too for creative thought, also windows
appearing in the wrong place. WHen monitors became available at $90
Canadian, I got a second one. It is not high res (only 1600x900) and
mixbus's mixer just barely fits and mixbus32c doesn't. I do work mostly
with Ardour though and that is not a problem. But a control surface, even
something simple and cheap like:
http://www.ovenwerks.net/hardware/3dollarcontrolsurface.html is another
step up. (keys for fader up and down are _not_ the way to go BTW) I am
slowly working on a much nicer controller with nicer faders. Here is
an idea of what the display will look like (9inch screen):
http://www.ovenwerks.net/paste/O-S-C-screen.png
This one does accept touch control (much better than mouse) and will be
able to be removed from the control for remote access. But the controller
will also have physical controls for many of these controls and buttons.
One 9inch screen per 8 strips and one just for master and global controls.

I do not know qtractor well enough to say what is possible in direct
control from keyboard or other controller. I did find the MIDI controler
setup, so it is possible for sure. I have not found any OSC Docs for
qtractor though.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. keep experimenting.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net