Re: [LAU] Qtractor - & friends - ONE WINDOW setup!!

From: Yassin Philip <philcm@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 03 2016 - 19:28:21 EET

On 03/11/2016 16:51, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2016, Yassin Philip wrote:
>
>> One can go further and specify precise sizes, positions and layouts,
>> and put them
>> in the config file, and switch to them on-the-fly. Oh, and of course
>> everything
>> can be resized/re-positioned with the keyboard. i3, by default, uses
>> the super
>> (win logo) key in a very elegant, mnemonically and unobtrusive way.
>> Fantastic,
>> told ya.
>>
>> Now let me tell you, the real fun begins. No window overlap, no more
>> "always on
>> top" hacks, or putting down the guitar pick to fiddle with the
>> (*$-@+°#¤!) mouse
>> ; Everything respond at the touch of a key, this is per-fick :)
>> cheers everybody.
>> Programmers, musicians, carpenters and motocyclists, lovers, friends,
>> acquaintances, etc. and of course (duh) every combination of it :)
>
> Sounds great. Coming from a dual screen xfce with edit on one screen
> and mixer on the other, I had not thought of these problems. I am
> super glad you have figured it out, but the thought that did cross my
> mind was: Control surface? I hate mice too for creative thought, also
> windows appearing in the wrong place. WHen monitors became available
> at $90 Canadian, I got a second one. It is not high res (only
> 1600x900) and mixbus's mixer just barely fits and mixbus32c doesn't. I
> do work mostly with Ardour though and that is not a problem. But a
> control surface, even something simple and cheap like:
> http://www.ovenwerks.net/hardware/3dollarcontrolsurface.html is
> another step up. (keys for fader up and down are _not_ the way to go BTW)
I remember trying and failing to get your hack to work. May have been
the keyboard's fault..?
> I am slowly working on a much nicer controller with nicer faders. Here
> is an idea of what the display will look like (9inch screen):
> http://www.ovenwerks.net/paste/O-S-C-screen.png
> This one does accept touch control (much better than mouse) and will
> be able to be removed from the control for remote access. But the
> controller will also have physical controls for many of these controls
> and buttons. One 9inch screen per 8 strips and one just for master and
> global controls.
Is this targeted at devices like phones/tablet or maybe small pi-like
Arm PCs? Souvenirs... In the last decade, I had a (2, actually) Nokia
N900 with Qmidictl <http://qmidictl.sourceforge.net> (It needed Qmidinet
<http://qmidinet.sourceforge.net/>, with the default settings) it was
pretty cool (I only used the transport functions, but still, neat)
despite the N900's resistive screen. Now, after a transition by the N9,
I'm in the cold under Android :( I tried to get TouchDAW
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwix_N3FjY3QAhWVHsAKHVUkAtUQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.humatic.de%2Fhtools%2Ftouchdaw%2F&usg=AFQjCNGCVXbvIbwT8yy0-__MLEhw2zpZpw&sig2=RLjspbtuLmQ6Gqk5Ao5Nvw>
to work, but somehow failed. Didn't try very hard, Android depresses me.
I agree, having a control surface handy is the best of both worlds.

> I do not know qtractor well enough to say what is possible in direct
> control from keyboard or other controller.
Probably. From my experience, it's very standard in terms of external
control, it's my understanding that it's in its DNA, that it was
intended first to control, and be controlled by, external MIDI hardware.
My experience is that everything works, like if you plug a Novation
X-Station (AKA Remote Audio 25, both quickly discontinued for excess of
affordable awesomeness) then transport buttons do their job out of the
box, that sort of neat things.
> I did find the MIDI controler setup, so it is possible for sure. I
> have not found any OSC Docs for qtractor though.
Me neither, and I'm interested. I basically don't know anything about
OSC, but as soon as I figure it out, I'll put in on the wiki/manual :)

> Anyway, thanks for sharing. keep experimenting.
Thanks ; well, I'm very happy with this current setup. I'm discovering
i3, I really like it.

> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net