Re: [LAU] New Music: Five of Cups

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 08 2016 - 20:28:10 EET

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 12:11:40 +0000
Ben Bell <bjb-linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> The music is prog rock, with a strong emphasis on keyboards and
> classic-era sort of sounds rather than more metal-influenced which is
> seeing a bit of a rennaissance these days.

Since there were some comments about 'prog rock', I would like to
mention that the style is not limited to a few typical, if not
overdone, musical expressions. Progressive rock encompasses much more
than a few archetypical styles, flanked by more or less the same set of
sounds and arrangements. Contrary to bossa nova and tango, progressive
rock has many expressions. It it not limited to the outdated keyboard
riffs.

Here are a few listening links to demonstrate.

For instance, Magma (France). After 47 years of existence, a film is
being made about the band this year. Musical excerpt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fksb0op4sY

Film trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V80oFyeJh1g

Another progressive rock expression is Deus Ex Machina (Italy) who
released an album recently and an official video last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRrDJntwsa8

Yet another is Koenjihyakkei (Japan) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAHzuXt4nBw

Isildurs Bane (Sweden) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXEEm50Lw8k

After Crying (Hungary) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL4UhNZPuFI

And there are more examples.

I have had the experience first hand, with what people stick to when
thinking of progressive rock as I had the opportunity to give a few
examples (CDs) to a journalist, along with a talk, to show the
differences in the category. Unfortunately, for the actual report on
radio the guy has chosen to cling to the same old definitions of 'prog
rock' which exploits the same more or less stale musical progressions
and pompousness, as if there is nothing else in that genre, not even
sub-genres. It is very unfortunate for progressive rock in general
since much people turn their ears away as soon as they hear the term
'prog rock', going away from what they expect to be music stuck in some
era of time, characterized by a limited set of riffs and antics.

Cheers.