Re: [LAU] everything stops after 2.1GB

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Nov 09 2016 - 11:24:25 EET

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 10:09:45 +0100, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>Am 09.11.2016 um 09:45 schrieb J. C.:
>> Can anyone think of the issue in question or a solution or tests to
>> approach the problem?
>
>To which filesystem are you saving the recording? Is it perhaps a
>(V)FAT partition? Or a very old ext2 filesystem? Some of these have
>limitations on maximum file size.

How old should this ext2 be? Let alone that Arch is a rolling release
and if you buy e.g. an USB stick, it unlikely is formatted with ext.

In regards to the file system, I only could imagine tmpfs being the
culprit.

"Max. file size 16 GiB – 2 TiB" -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2

"On Linux kernels prior to 2.6.17,[4] restrictions in the block driver
mean that ext2 filesystems have a maximum file size of 2 TiB." -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2

"Max. file size 4,294,967,295 bytes (4 GiB – 1) with FAT16B and
FAT32[1]" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

"Max. file size ca. 128 PiB (theoretical 16 EiB–1)[nb 1]" -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

"Further, the term "VFAT" has led to various misconceptions as well,[nb
1] as it is sometimes erroneously used as if it would describe another
variant of FAT file system to be distinguished from the FAT12, FAT16
and FAT32 file systems, while in reality it does not specify another
file system" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

Regards,
Ralf