Re: [LAU] ADAT & MIDI

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Nov 25 2016 - 15:28:13 EET

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 13:42:04 +0100, Johannes Kroll wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 13:14:49 +0100 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 349 €
>
>I use that one. It is USB Audio Class compliant, except for the mixer
>part.

Thank you,

IIUC it has got a build in mixer, but even if it shouldn't work with
the patch, it could be used with ALSA mixer, without build in special
mixer features, right?

>The ADAT port is input only.

That's a pitty. More important to me would be ADAT out, since I want
to use it for the iPad, too. IOW when using it with the iPad, I would
use another ADAT device for my Linux PC, to record virtual synth from
the iPad. OTOH I could use analog outputs, too and at least at 44100, 2
channles S/PDIF might do the job, too.

>I have managed to run it with JACK at 64 samples, 2 buffers @ 44100 Hz,
>with an RT patched 4.x kernel. That's a bit flaky though, 128 samples
>is more reliable.

128, 2, 44100 = 5.8 ms would be perfect.

Excepted of the missing ADAT outputs, it seems to be perfect for me.
Anyway, it still is interesting for me. Did you experience any
durability issues, IOW how long and how much did you use it?

I ogled with the soundcraft signature series (no ADAT and no MIDI, but
a mixing console), but fear durability issues.

FWIW in parallel I ask for iPad 2 compatibility at
http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7498 .

Regards,
Ralf