Re: [LAU] ADAT & MIDI

From: Johannes Kroll <j-kroll@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 25 2016 - 16:43:41 EET

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 14:28:13 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 13:42:04 +0100, Johannes Kroll wrote:
> >On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 13:14:49 +0100 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 349 €
> >
> >I use that one. It is USB Audio Class compliant, except for the mixer
> >part.
>
> Thank you,
>
> IIUC it has got a build in mixer, but even if it shouldn't work with
> the patch, it could be used with ALSA mixer, without build in special
> mixer features, right?

The patch exposed the internal mixer matrix as normal ALSA mixer
controls. It is in mainline kernel since some 3.x version, I don't
remember exactly which. So you can use the mixer matrix with any
alsamixer app. I use qasmixer, which handles the high number of
controls better than other UIs. Next time I am in the audio room, I
want to try AlsaJsonMixer, which has a specific UI for the Scarlett:
https://github.com/fulup-bzh/AlsaJsonMixer

One thing that isn't exposed in the mainline kernel anymore is the
"save state to hardware" feature, which allows the device to be used
stand-alone, without a computer. But it seems to store the last values
anyway - maybe the values are saved by default by the driver at some
point, I'm not sure.

> >I have managed to run it with JACK at 64 samples, 2 buffers @ 44100 Hz,
> >with an RT patched 4.x kernel. That's a bit flaky though, 128 samples
> >is more reliable.
>
> 128, 2, 44100 = 5.8 ms would be perfect.
>
> Excepted of the missing ADAT outputs, it seems to be perfect for me.
> Anyway, it still is interesting for me. Did you experience any
> durability issues, IOW how long and how much did you use it?

I have it since January 2014. I used it almost daily for half a year or
so. I lugged it around to a rehearsal room and to a few performances.
It has a solid thick aluminium case which is very rugged - I could
probably stand on it without problems. :) The plastic knobs are OK.
I've recently noticed some scratching noises on one of the pots. I hope
it can be replaced.

> I ogled with the soundcraft signature series (no ADAT and no MIDI, but
> a mixing console), but fear durability issues.
>
> FWIW in parallel I ask for iPad 2 compatibility at
> http://www.xewton.com/musicstudio/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7498 .

I don't have an iPad so I don't know.