Re: [LAU] Synth perc sounds howto

From: Frank Neumann <beachnase@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 07 2016 - 22:11:25 EET

Hi Yassin,

> > I think Philip is looking for the tambourine. I'm not absolutely sure,
> > but I think this was TR-707, but even that should be part of a lot of
> > analogue drum programming guides.
> Yes, I think you're right, Jeanette. Specifically, it's the /second/
> sound one can hear at the very start of the video, and yes, good guess,
> now I remember, it really sounds like the 707 (funny how I hated this
> machine in the early 90s and how I'd like to have it back now)
> tambourine, but in some sort of swirling delay.
> It can also be heard as the "snare" in the infamous (maybe I heard it
> too much) JM Jarre production, like this ubiquous one whose name eludes
> me. Oxygen, yes, that one, I think.
>
> So I'm back in square one, browsing presets for something close.

I was recently looking for that same sound indeed (it's perhaps best known
from JM Jarre's "Oxygene Part IV", see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DDEl7JnWvo).

I have this old "Hexawe" drum sounds archive sitting on my harddisk for ages
now (it's still available after all the time, just
wget http://www.hexawe.net/mess/200.Drum.Machines/drums.zip), and in there,
I found that sound in drums/KorgMP7/Quijada.wav.
Of course, re-programming it with your weapon of choice is the more sporty
solution, but if you're impatient.. :-).

Greetings,
Frank