Re: [LAU] Music Made with Linux: Rated Blue-Turnabout Album

From: <info@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 17 2016 - 04:47:35 EET

Hi Daniel, Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment. Song 1 (Straight Up) and Song 5 (Unsteady) are deliberately mixed in the old classic power-trio style, bass on one side, guitar on the other and drums up the middle. This goes back to early rock trios (Cream, Hendrix, The James Gang, Grand Funk, Blue Cheer etc etc.) when stereo first started to catch on in the mid to late 60's often the guitar and bass would be panned opposite to emulate the stage sound of a trio. I'm a trio junkie and have always really liked that sound, I also admire the freedom of the early stereo days where anything could be panned anywhere depending on how much LSD the band or the engineer had ingested that particular day. Actually the drums are panned significantly, both the kick and snare are kept fairly close to center, the toms are actually fairly widely spaced and both the stereo overheads and stereo ambient mics are fully stereo panned, my guess is since I've been pretty liberal with panning everything in the mixes that the drums come across as sounding more mono simply because their panning is less extreme, anyway just a bit of explanation.. Thanks very much for the encouraging comments :) Best, Glen ----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Swärd" <excds@email-addr-hidden> To:"Linux Audio User" <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden> Cc: Sent:Fri, 16 Dec 2016 11:14:36 +0100 Subject:Re: [LAU] Music Made with Linux: Rated Blue-Turnabout Album On Wed, 2016-12-14 at 15:28 -0800, info@email-addr-hiddend.net wrote: > Hi fellow LAU's! > > This is a kind of a small pre-release announcement of our new Album > "Turnabout", in the next week it will be available in retail outlets > and announced elsewhere but it's already on Soundcloud so I thought > I'd post it here on LAU... Impressive. I do agree partly with the other comment that the drums have maybe a little bit too mono feel, at least for the first two tracks. But except that I really like the stereo separation you have. I'm only so far into listening to the third song and I can maybe add some more comments later after listening to the whole album. But I have to say you guys have put in some real quality work into this. Excellent! :-) Good luck with the release! Best regards /Daniel Swärd _______________________________________________ Linux-audio-user mailing list Linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user