[LAU] Yoshimi for your Christmas stocking

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 18 2016 - 17:42:07 EET

V 1.5.0 - The Robin
Still learning new songs and singing sweetly in the middle of winter.

Vector control now has its own dedicated button on the main window. A little
bit of shuffling meant that space could be created for it while actually making
the window look neater, and the master controls more obvious!

As a further protection against rogue sequencers making assumptions, any
attempt to set an invalid bank root will be ignored. The same was already true
for banks themselves. Also, on first time startup, discovered roots will be
given ID numbers starting from 5 and in steps of 5. This makes it a little
easier to re-arrange them to your preference. We recommend that you don't have
zero for either, as this is the usual assumed number.

If working from the command line, listing roots and banks will identify the
current ones with a '*'. Also, we forgot to mention at the last release that
listing instruments, as well as showing the current bank and root you are
listing from, will suffix each entry with A,S,P depending on the combination of
AddSynth, SubSynth, Padsynth.

Channel switching has now matured to a 'Solo' feature accessed from the mixer
panel. When described to a sound engineer his response was "Of course it's a
Solo. A bit unusual, but where else would you put it?"

Another new feature is one that has been asked for several times - a crossfade
for overlapping note ranges in instrument kits.

Filter tracking could never quite reach 100% so if using it to get 'notes' from
noise it would go slightly out of tune. Well, now we have an extra check box
that changes its range so that instead of -100% : 98.4% it will track 0% :
198.4%

These new features are the first we've introduced that actually change
instrument files. However, they are backwards compatible in that older versions
of Yoshimi simply ignore them.

Many of the controls now have active tooltips that show the current value when
you hover over them, so you no longer have to click the control to see its
value (and probably change it at the same time). Also, many have real-world
terms. dB, Hz, mS etc.

The biggie is MIDI learn. Yes it's finally here, and very full featured. It can
be reached from the 'Yoshimi' drop-down menu, and tooltips will remind you of
how it is used. There is a screenshot on our sourceforge page.

More details on all of these can be found in the 'doc' directory.

Under the hood:

We've made a small, but useful improvement in note-on behaviour and a more
significant one is in the planning stages. Note-on is when the greatest load is
put on the processor.

To build yoshimi fetch the tarball from either:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/yoshimi
Or:
    https://github.com/Yoshimi/yoshimi

Our user list archive is at: