Re: [LAU] Bluetooth Latency

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Dec 28 2016 - 11:45:59 EET

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 17:06:30 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
>Bose

German audio engineers make jokes about Bose equipment's sound quality.
Bose is known for the most bad sound quality you could get, while at
the same time Bose is expensive. To be fair, the jokes are old, perhaps
sound quality of Bose improved, but I wouldn't risk to buy Bose or even
waste my time in testing Bose. Bose has got a bad reputation.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:55:47 -1000, David Jones wrote:
>your Presonus has headphone out

The headphone amp's sound quality of the PreSonus 1818VSL I'm testing
at the moment is just so-so. Actually I can't say if it's good enough
for mixing or not, it at least is not nearly as good as the sound
quality of my RME card and usually even hifi gear comes close to the
RME card's headphone amp.

If I would be Bob, I most likely would try to find a way to listen to
the line outputs of the PreSonus by using a hifi amp and by using any
headphone, but for sure not a Bose headphone.

Many headphone amps are bad. The sound quality even of my elCheapo
Behringer mixer was ok, when it was new, excepted of the sound quality
of it's headphone amp. In my experiences headphone amps of Pioneer and
Sony consumer equipment are ok, at least those of my 80s and 90s hifi
amp, cd player and DAT recorder.

If Bob just wants to listen, while playing, the sound quality isn't
important, less good sound quality just isn't fun and might make you
quicker wearied. If headphones should be used for mixing, sound quality
is very important. Even if gear provides a good headphone amp, the
routing of the audio signal is still important. You really need to
listen to the real outputs, ok, might be irrelevant, if the analog
domain isn't involved, for just monitoring the digital domain.

Sure, for the home studio we usually can't spend much money, but since
Bob ogles with "some expensive Bose headphones", he might wants to
consider to look for something else.

2 Cents,
Ralf