Re: [LAU] Sound quality of the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Jan 08 2017 - 20:32:19 EET

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 18:44:39 +0100, Johannes Kroll wrote:
>There is a problem with my Scarlett where sometimes I get horrible
>crackling noise. Restarting JACK fixes this. Could this be your issue
>as well?

No, I had this with the Presonus, but choosing another USB slot fixed
the issue.

Missing alsamixer controls aren't a problem for me.

Btw. since my main interest is ADAT, I don't care that much about
the sound of the analog IOs. FWIW the intensity of all LEDs is ok,
something I'm missing for a lot of other modern devices. Often LEDs are
much too bright, so they could be an issue, when close to the monitor.

>It should be relatively easy to insert the product ID of the 2nd-gen
>into the alsa code, though. Have you patched & compiled a kernel
>before?

Yes. Thank you for the pointer.

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 18:45:45 +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:
>The Scarlett series however is pretty much crap.
>Just terminate the input with 200 Ohm, start jnoisemeter and start
>wondering which award those "award winning preamps" won.

I read an old thread about this. Fons replied ironical "a marketing
award" or something like this. The outputs have less gain, but aren't
noisy. I didn't test the inputs.

This btw. would be the only thing close to a measurement I could do:
In regards to subjective audio quality I could record a WAV from the
analog outputs to the analog inputs of the Focusrite and for comparison
do the same with the RME card and the ADA8000. Then it would be possible
to listen to the original WAV and the recorded WAVs or to take a look
at a spectral analysis.

Regards,
Ralf