Re: [LAU] using Jack an interface to ecasound

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Jan 20 2017 - 15:50:13 EET

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 14:26:43 +0100, Gerhard Zintel wrote:
>On Friday 20 January 2017, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> To list all jack related packages that are installed run
>>
>> mkdir /tmp/empty_dir
>> cd /tmp/empty_dir/
>> dpkg -l *jack* | grep ii
>
>for you are not saving anything, you don't need to create a new
>folder. Furthermore my shell tries to expand *jack*; you have to use
>the ' character (don't know its name in English) like this:
>
>dpkg -l '*jack*' | grep ii

Thank you,

I'm using Arch Linux and didn't know this, but since I'm aware that
"apt" does not have a stable CLI interface, I wanted to ensure that
"dpkg -l" works. I already used "dpkg" instead of "apt", since even not
all DEB based installs provide "apt", at least not one still supported
Ubuntu release. Running "dpkg -l *jack* | grep ii" in an empty
directory gains nothing over "dpkg -l '*jack*' | grep ii", but I didn't
know that "dpkg -l '*jack*' | grep ii" does work. I'll try to keep this
in mind, OTOH the transition to apt, at least for Ubuntu, already
started, so dpkg soon or later will be obsolet.

Regards,
Ralf