Re: [LAU] using Jack an interface to ecasound

From: john gibby <johnalan.gibby@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 21 2017 - 01:41:23 EET

Ralf, here is the output from dpkg:

i jack-capture 0.9.71-1 amd64 program
for recording soundfiles with jack
ii jackass 1:20140520-1kxstudio1 amd64
 JACK-MIDI support for VST hosts
ii jackd 5 all JACK
Audio Connection Kit (default server package)
ii jackd1 2:0.124.2~20151211-2~xenial1 amd64 JACK
Audio Connection Kit (server and example clients)
ii jackd1-firewire 2:0.124.2~20151211-2~xenial1 amd64 JACK
Audio Connection Kit (FFADO backend)
ii jackutils-script 0.0.1avlinux6-1 all Simple
Start and Stop Scripts to Utilize With QJackctl and Launch a2jmidid and
aloop-daemon - Custom AV Linux Package
ii libjack-dev 2:0.124.2~20151211-2~xenial1 amd64 JACK
Audio Connection Kit (development files)
ii libjack0:amd64 2:0.124.2~20151211-2~xenial1 amd64 JACK
Audio Connection Kit (libraries)
ii libjack0:i386 2:0.124.2~20151211-2~xenial1 i386 JACK
Audio Connection Kit (libraries)
ii qjackctl 2:0.4.1-1kxstudio2 amd64 User
interface for controlling the JACK sound server
ii screencapjack-script 0.1.2avlinux8-1 all A very
basic screen capture script using ffmpeg and jack-capture, the script is
installed to /usr/local/bin and can edited with a text editor. Custom AV
Linux Package

I am using buffer size 128, N=3, 48000hz. When I use N=2, all I hear is
some clicking. I don't currently have an external instrument or tuning
fork. I think the latency problem may be due to the above - seems I
installed things from kxstudio that I didn't realize. I'm not sure why I
can't use an even smaller buffer size; I guess pianoteq is too cpu
intensive.

When I take jack out of the equation and play an mp3 file thru ecasound and
the 2-way crossover, it works correctly and sounds good.

By the way, I'm embarrassed to admit that I really have forgotten my admin
password, so I think I need to re-install AVL. That would get me back to
the correct baseline for Jack in AVL. But then I would have to decide
whether to re-install ecasound - which might have been what corrupted jack
for me?? Or, to forget ecasound and use zita-Irc.

Thanks,
John