Re: [LAU] USB MIDI controller - update

From: termtech <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 29 2017 - 09:41:50 EET

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 2:37:40 PM EST Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, Will Godfrey wrote:
> > My nice new BFC2000 was delivered yesterday, and I'm very pleased with it.
> > It has an astonishing range of configuration possibilites, and unlike
> > many units is reasonably quick and easy to program from the unit itself.
>
> Good to know.
>
> > The faders can be ordinary CCs, specifically pitch bend or any NRPN. The
> > NRPNs can be full 14 bit data or 7 bit and can be absolute or
> > incremental.
> I knew the encoders could be incremental, but faders is a new one on me.
>
> > I can't confirm the resolution of either the pitch bend or NRPN modes, but
> > it is greater than the accuracy of the sliders themselves - when used as
> > an NRPN and steadily moving the slider up, a fractional movement can
> > actually send a slightly lower value - which suggests it's reading
> > discontinuites in the carbon track.
>
> That could very well be why Mackie limited their faders to 10 bits (last 4
> bits zeroed).

I am interested to know /how/ it sends out the 14 bits.
Hi byte first? Or low byte? Or selectable?
And can it optimize by not sending redundant hi or low bytes,
 or redundant NRPN numbers?

Possibly the problem Will is seeing is a 'glitch' upon the discontinuity
 when the hi byte increments to a new value and the low byte
 'rolls over' to a new value.
Some software might have trouble with the separate hi and low bytes.
The software would have to 'wait' until it knew the low byte came in
 after the hi byte (or vice versa in some cases), in order to make a
 coherent smooth glitchless transistion.
It's even more tricky if the controller can optimize out redundant
 controller numbers or data values.

What are you feeding it into?

I question whether such a new professional product would have
 touchy carbon like that, where it goes 'backward' slightly in spots.
(If it uses carbon at all.)

As I have come to believe, software ought to have at least two modes:
Separate hi and low data value mode, ie separate 'coarse' and 'fine' knobs,
 and full continuous 14-bit mode with a single knob.
The two modes shouldn't be mixed, ie software in separate coarse/fine mode
 but the controller is in 14-bit continuous mode.

Tim.