Re: [LAU] USB MIDI controller - update

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 29 2017 - 12:28:31 EET

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 02:41:50AM -0500, termtech wrote:

> I question whether such a new professional product would have
> touchy carbon like that, where it goes 'backward' slightly in spots.
> (If it uses carbon at all.)

The apparent value going 'backward' doesn't need to be related
to the precision of the resistive track, carbon or whatever.

Just consider the mechanism that supports the knob while allowing
it to slide with low friction. Unless it uses very precisely
machined parts, and the right materials, there will be some
mechanical tolerance there. This means that the postions of
the knob and the sliding contact are not as rigidly coupled
as you may imagine. Reducing this sort of error to less than
say 0.1 mm could make things quite expensive. For a 100 mm
slider than corresponds to 10 bit precision.

Ciao,

--
FA