Re: [LAU] Music: During Rain (nominal6 cover)

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 02 2017 - 01:42:50 EET

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 08:17:26 +0000
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 19:34:28 -0500
> jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>> https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/duringrain-nominal6-cover

> Rain in the city?

I haven't thought about that since the beginning eg. city/'nature'.
There was no setting. I did not pay much attention to the picture Dave
tagged along the song since it was, for me, in total contrast with the
sounds of the DX7. I'm saying this being someone who can spend days
(up to 7 so far) in the forest kilometers away from any human, carrying
his canoe from lake to lake. I do not tend to associate human-made
sounds with nature.

But this goes deeper, if I may. I'm currently reading philosophy work
from the University of Paris (prof. Francois Jullien) regarding the
difference between, briefly, the western (Greek) and Chinese approaches
to arts. It find it's useful to see how and why we are thinking in
certain ways and the best way to be able to do that I find is to 'get
out' and see from a different point. In this case, the Chinese
cultural aide. And so, it came to be that we often idealize nature as
beautiful because we made a long time ago a distinction between man and
nature. Since that time, some have put back nature integration into
arts, but the separation remains for most of us, and was encouraged by
the church.

And so, the thing here was rain, out of any context. To make it
flagrant I had to put some rain sounds. Reminded me a bit of U.K. band
Gryphon and "Raindance" from the 70s (see youtube) with the first synth
solo notes being now so clear. Then the rain falling down is rhythmic,
so at least there should be some clear shakers or some such. And a
light, not so much centralized, drum pattern that kind of make a bridge
between the earth (kick drum) where the rain falls and the sky (high
hats bridging to the shakers associated with rain) to establish the
scene. The sequenced notes (part of the original, different sound)
brought it into modernity so to speak. This was done and mixed quickly.

Speaking of rain, there is a lot of 'duck'ing going on in the middle
section as it tried to cope with the changing harmonies ! :)

Cheers.