Re: [LAU] Ground loop noise problem using MSI H-97 Gaming 3 motherboard, SeaSonic SSR‑360GP 360W power supply.

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Mar 06 2017 - 11:55:00 EET

On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 22:22:26 -0500, john gibby wrote:
>If I plug my amplifiers in without their ground plug (not a good idea,
>I know), I can get rid of almost all of it.

Yesno! No recommendation by a remote diagnostics! If ground is required
depends on the type of electrical device. A lot of hifi equipment, if
not all hifi equipment, does use Europlugs by default. Such gear could
be used without risk.

There's a difference between an earthed metal case and groundlift by
capacitor for the circuit. A well maintained non-moving device of
the type that requires earthing, not necessarily is critical, if you
remove ground.

Both is wrong, just recommending to remove ground completely or to
connect by capacitor, as well as the claim that even for non-public
private usage removing ground always is critical for non-moving, well
maintained gear. The reason to claim that nobody ever should lift
ground from grounded devices is reasonable overcaution. Do event
engineers check all used Schuko cables, each time they use the cables?

However, I also claim you should not remove ground!

Perhaps you should try to kill two birds with one stone. Get better
latency and audio quality and perhaps rid of the ground loop by buying
a pro-sumer audio interface, instead of running a risk or to pay for
workarounds or to pay for replacing the mobo, the amp or what ever else.

Some troubleshooting you could do:

- Are all devices involved in the ground loop are connected to the same
  main socket? If not, connect them to the same main socket by a
  multiple socket.
- Are all used multiple sockets ok? Replace broken multiple sockets!
- Are all used power cables, as well as audio cables, remote control
  cables etc. ok? Replace broken cables!
- Just in case: Reconnect all cables!
- Rubric Voodoo: Change the positions of the main plugs.

Regards,
Ralf