Re: [LAU] jack, pulse = confusion, at least for me

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2017 - 21:04:17 EET

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 14:24:35 -0400, Mac wrote:
>If I understand your reply, dbus provides some magic that allows
>pulseaudio (as installed with UBS16.04) to see when a jackd2 server is
>started

The Ubuntu package name is "jackd2", but actually _not_ _jackd_ does
use _dbus_, it's _jackdbus_.

"Desktop" apps could use dbus, a https://www.freedesktop.org/ thingy. As
everything else related to https://www.freedesktop.org/ dbus could be
useful, but not necessarily is useful for every task. A bowling ball is
useful for bowling, but less good to play volleyball.

The package provides

  /usr/bin/jackd

as well as

  /usr/bin/jackdbus

http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/jackd2/filelist

I don't know why the Ubuntu Studio team makes it the default for Ubuntu
Studio. There seems to be no way to successfully argue against it. DAW
users very seldom need jackdbus and other users very seldom need the
jack sound server at all.

That jackdbus is installed seems not to be related to issues. Nothing
ever auto-starts jackdbus on my Linux installs. I'm running Arch Linux
as well as an "expert" Ubuntu install:

[root@email-addr-hidden moonstudio]# systemd-nspawn -q
[root@email-addr-hidden ~]# grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS"
[root@email-addr-hidden ~]# dpkg -l jackd2 | grep ii
ii jackd2 1.9.10+20150825git1ed50c92~dfsg-1ubuntu1 amd64 JACK Audio Connection Kit (server and example clients)
[root@email-addr-hidden ~]# cat /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.jackaudio.service
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.jackaudio.service
Exec=/usr/bin/jackdbus auto