Re: [LAU] Arch Wiki Professional_audio

From: Joakim Hernberg <jhernberg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 30 2017 - 22:46:34 EEST

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 16:06:26 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

I've read the wiki a few times and thought about rewriting it, but
that's a lot of work, and I really don't like very much to remove
other's work..

I think the opening sentence regarding latency is ok by it self, it's
just in the wrong place.. It should be in a section dealing with
latency.. IMO the wiki needs a different introduction.

> Again, I don't claim that it's absolutely irrelevant to e.g. compile
> with "Timer Frequency is set to 1000Hz (CONFIG_HZ_1000=y" but usually
> hrtimer is used by default, e.g. by Qtractor. To optimise more for
> e.g. MIDI usage users should consider to run jack2 with -Xalsarawmidi.

AFAIK, the ticker isn't very relevant now days.. For instance the
archlinux -rt kernel uses high resolution timers (probably based on
your hardware's TSC) and is much more accurate than the ticker based
scheduling ever was.

> I just asked you to help to get the Wiki up to date and to _discuss_
> controversial opinions, as well to explain some things that aren't
> explained.
>
> I can't understand the resistance and hostilities. What's wrong with
> trying to make the Wiki better? It was good, but seemingly isn't up to
> date.

I suspect that if you want to get the wiki updated you'd have to do it
yourself :)

> "Warning: Enabling threadirqs seems to be causing system lockups in
> conjunction with usb devices in at least some kernel versions starting
> with 3.13 and including at least 3.14-rc2. See for example
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1279081 and
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg102504.html also linked from
> there. EDIT: The changelog seems to indicate that this has been fixed
> in the 3.13.6 vanilla kernel. (Search for threadirqs in
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/ChangeLog-3.13.6)"
>
> No such kernel is still provided by Arch Linux, even the LTS kernel is
> 4.9.18.

AFAIK, you can safely remove that part.

> Does somebody need flash for pro-audio?

I'd say that no one should use flash at all, but it seems to me like a
very special case and could probably be safely deleted, or maybe moved
to a tip and tricks page or something similar.

--
   Joakim