Re: [LAU] #stream2own

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2017 - 12:23:36 EEST

To Glen's post:

Things are not necessarily that bad. I can say, for example, that my
experience with Bandcamp is extremely positive. Without being a known
musician I am generating some nice pocket money. My Paypal typically has
over 100-150 EUR, all thanks to purchases of my music by people on
Bandcamp. The stream of purchases is not too thick, but yet constant.

At the same time, if you are an established artist (and there are many
known musicians on Bandcamp) their profits could be very sizeable thanks to
the fact that Bandcamp's revenue share is very transparent and it actually
gets smaller the more you sell.

Here is an example of my release that got quite a lot of purchases:
https://louigi.bandcamp.com/album/droning267

Note that not all purchases are shown - if people are not registered as
listeners on Bandcamp they can buy the album, but their avatar will not be
shown under the cover art - because they have no account there.

Here is an example of an established artist. Note the endlessness of
purchases.
https://carbonbasedlifeforms.bandcamp.com/album/world-of-sleepers

However, nobody will do your promotion for you. So just putting out tracks
and then doing nothing will not bring any audiences. This latter point is
key and I can talk a lot about that. Putting out your music is just the
beginning.

So, people complain about not being able to sell anything, but it is always
more than just the music. It is about promotion, it is about making your
music bigger than just a bunch of tracks. Presentation and promotion matter
very-very much.

For instance, i am absolutely positive that just uploading tracks to
resonate.io will not do anything for you. I also uploaded tracks to
resonate.io - 0 listens. And it will stay that way forever, until I
actually take time to promote it among my listeners.

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Ben Bell <bjb-linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:46:09PM +0200, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > Some of you might be interested in a new distribution system for your
> > music based on the #stream2own mechanism.
>
> I don't know how well it will work out but I've signed up. I share people's
> feeling that monetising music is very hard these days. That said, the big
> players have once again managed to structure the market so that they get
> the lion's share of what money is available and the artists themselves
> either get the crumbs or effectively become invisible because of the effect
> of iTunes, Spotify et al having such critcial mass. Anything that tries to
> lay siege to those walled markets deserves support.
>
> I've put four tracks from my latest album up there and will see how it
> goes.
>
> https://resonate.is/profile/1626/
>
> Ben

Louigi Verona