Re: [LAU] Arch Wiki Professional_audio

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2017 - 14:24:37 EEST

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:43:02 +0200, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>I think, for listeners, latency, if it is in a "normal range" wouldn't
>be a issue, often it is the opposite (eg. Live Atmosphere) , but for
>the artist, even a small amount of latency could be disturbing, when
>you hear your instrument delayed without using a delay.

The reason for this discussion (bikeshedding) are my claims that in the
studio latency of a DAW doesn't matter that much, but latency in some
(not all) live situations matters.

Then some of you claimed that I'm wrong, a DAW requires ultra low
latency for software monitoring. Other say latency matters in "all"
live situations or "not at all".

The below table and the pic posted before, with speakers on a wall
prove me right. It's irrelevant if you wear headphones in the studio
and is relevant for _some_, but not all live situations.

From http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-soundpath.htm :

Temperature Speed of sound Time per 1 m
of air in °C c in m/s Δ t in ms/m
+40 354.9 2.818
+35 352.0 2.840
+30 49.1 2.864
+25 346.2 2.888
+20 343.2 2.912
+15 340.3 2.937
+10 337.3 2.963
+ 5 334.3 2.990
± 0 331.3 3.017
− 5 328.2 3.044
−10 325.2 3.073
−15 322.0 3.103
−20 318.8 3.134
−25 315.7 3.165

Regards,
Ralf

--
"Michael" described Floyd as "an idiot savant", and added, "Give him
any two numbers, and he can multiply them in his head, just like that."